Become an AmeriCorps Member
Serving as an AmeriCorps member with Reading Partners has shown me how important it is to be active in education. It is more than just helping people; it’s about caring and giving a voice to those who are not heard.
—Ben Madry, Site Coordinator DC 2014-15
Grow your career with Reading Partners AmeriCorps!
Reading Partners AmeriCorps members get things done, and are critical to our success as an organization. Be it leading the day-to-day operations of our reading centers, recruiting volunteers, or coaching volunteer tutors, our AmeriCorps members make an impact on the students we serve.
AmeriCorps offers an amazing chance to give back, and as an AmeriCorps member, you’ll receive a great place to serve, professional development opportunities, and a chance to springboard your career. AmeriCorps members are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for education, and strongly believe in our vision and values. Together, we can make a difference!
What can I do as an AmeriCorps member?
We offer two full-time service programs with Reading Partners AmeriCorps:
- AmeriCorps State/National: directly serve your community at a school site or within a region! All AmeriCorps members serve full-time over an 11-month service term.
- AmeriCorps Site Coordinator: the face and voice of Reading Partners within our reading centers, leading the full-time program coordination, operations, and relationship development at their school.
- AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator: the face and voice of Reading Partners with the community, leading the charge in recruiting and on-boarding volunteer tutors, while also executing community engagement initiatives.
- AmeriCorps Literacy Lead: direct tutoring support within our reading centers, focusing on target students in need of more individualized instruction.
- AmeriCorps Regional Site Coordinator: the right hand of our programming team within a given region, serving as a mobile coordinator to support multiple reading centers, identifying trends, sharing best practices across schools, and tutoring.
- AmeriCorps VISTA: VISTAs have the chance to serve in a region or nationally, and specialize on creating sustainable and capacity-building projects. Our VISTA roles are typically in development, communications, programming operations, or community engagement. Keep your eyes open for information on each role – coming soon!
How can I join the team?
You can apply today! We’re looking for driven individuals who possess a strong desire to serve and a passion for enacting Reading Partners’ mission. Our applications for all 2016-17 regions are currently being accepted – the earlier you apply, the greater your chances to join our team in your top location!
If you’re interested in joining the team, we ask for TWO things:
- Short essay responses – you’ll be able to tell us a little about yourself, why you want to join Reading Partners AmeriCorps, and what service means to you! You’ll find the essay questions on each position description.
Please only apply to one region and one position. Once we receive your completed application, we’ll reach back out to you within 1-2 weeks with next steps. If you want to get a firsthand look at our program in action, consider joining us as a volunteer tutor today. We look forward to hearing from you!
What benefits will I receive?
- Stipend & benefits: as an AmeriCorps service member, you’ll receive an annual stipend, along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost to you! Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. AmeriCorps members will have an allotment of personal days for sick/vacation.
- Segal Education Award: AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,775 after successfully completing their service term.
- Loan forbearance: once in service, you may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
Professional Development: At Reading Partners, we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide a comprehensive program orientation at the start of each year to provide you with the skills needed for your success, along with ongoing professional development opportunities and bi-monthly trainings.
What else do I need to know?
- Service terms: as an AmeriCorps member, you would serve full-time from August, 2016, through June, 2017, and commit to a service term of 1700 hours over the 11-month period.
- Travel: AmeriCorps members need access to reliable for transportation to and from their school site, travel within the community, and occasional trips to regional offices, other school sites, and service day events.
- Where we serve: Reading Partners AmeriCorps members serve in a variety of regions, including California, Washington, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, North Carolina, Minnesota, Maryland, Washington DC, and New York.
Still have questions? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll follow-up as soon as we can!