What is AmeriCorps?
Reading Partners is powered by AmeriCorps. We mobilize AmeriCorps members in our 12 regions and national team to recruit and coach volunteers, support students during and outside of tutoring sessions, work on capacity-building projects, and so much more.
What is AmeriCorps?
- a group of national and community service programs that recruit members for a variety of service positions dedicated to focus areas such as education, economic opportunity, disaster response, or environmental stewardship managed by the federal agency.
How is AmeriCorps different from a job?
- AmeriCorps is a transformative service opportunity for passionate individuals to deepen their civic engagement and involvement in improving communities by committing their time
- AmeriCorps members are not paid a wage or salary, but they are provided a modest living allowance to cover their expenses while serving, in addition to post-service benefits. AmeriCorps members have a fixed term of service, commonly around a year. Members serve, they do not “work” a “job” and are not “employed” by Reading Partners.
How is an AmeriCorps member different from a staff member?
- AmeriCorps members collaborate with staff members to implement programs, but because they are engaged in service, they have a different relationship with their site.
- Members are also subject to a unique set of rules, responsibilities, and benefits that align with their service experience that differs from full-time staff members, because they are governed by policies set by both the federal agency AmeriCorps and the organization they are serving with.
How is AmeriCorps service different from a volunteer?
- In some ways, AmeriCorps service is like a full-time volunteer position, where members dedicate significantly more time to their cause than a typical volunteer and are given resources and benefits that allow them to prioritize their service.
Hear from our AmeriCorps members
With such a variety of AmeriCorps service roles offered here at Reading Partners, it’s helpful to hear from the folks who have been there, done that.
Find more service stories on our blog.
Read more about AmeriCorps service at Reading Partners here:
- The hidden benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Top 5 skills AmeriCorps members gain through service
- Taking an intentional gap year through AmeriCorps service
Connect with Nemanja if you’re interested in serving in Seattle, Silicon Valley, SFBA, Los Angeles, Colorado, or North Texas. Schedule a meeting or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with Nadéla if you’re interested in serving in DC, South Carolina, Baltimore, New York, Tulsa, or Twin Cities. Schedule a meeting or email her at email@example.com.