October 1, 2017
LIFT10 (Literacy Impact Forged Together) is four-year initiative to test how we can make a population level impact by increasing third grade reading proficiency by 10 percentage points in Oakland. Reading Partners SF Bay Area launched the LIFT10 initiative during the 2016-17 school year.
In alignment with other partners in Oakland such as the Oakland Promise, we focus on third grade, because if students can read proficiently by the end of third grade, they are four times more likely to graduate from high school.
Only 17 percent of third graders from low-income communities in Oakland are reading at grade level. Through LIFT10, and with the help of our supporters and community partners, we seek to change this statistic. We envision a bright future for the Bay Area where students have the vital literacy skills they need to be successful in school and in their future careers.
Successes from the 2016-17 program year:
- 73% of students met their primary end-of-year literacy goals
- We saw 26% program growth, 40 new classrooms served
- 72% of students made more than a year’s growth in reading skills, nearly half gaining two or more years of reading skills
This year we look forward to:
- Deepening our alignment with the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) to fulfill a critical Tier II-III intervention need
- Serving more students per school to increase our cost efficiency
- Strategic enrollment of students and increasing Kindergarten through second grade enrollment to 65% of students served
In light of the recent budget decisions in Oakland Unified School District (OUSD), we remain committed to serving as many students as possible at each of our partner schools in Oakland.
Thank you to our LIFT10 partners: